Infectious diseases have always been a public health concern. We live in a global nation and contagious diseases can easily spread when people are in close quarters like schools, churches, stores, and airports. This makes traveling safely difficult.
So what should you do if you have to travel during this time? With the threat of COVID-19 which has certainly gained worldwide attention due to it being highly contagious and causing so much death, it is important to take the necessary precautions when traveling to keep yourself as healthy and safe as possible. Here are my 5 essential tips for traveling safely during COVID.
- Don’t travel if you don’t have to – obviously there is a risk of exposure when traveling so limit non-essential trips.
- Travel by personal vehicle – Traveling by personal vehicle is perhaps the safest option, especially for short trips, because you can limit your exposures. I do recommend keeping Lysol wipes handy and wearing a mask if you have to gas up.
- Wear a face mask - the virus spreads through respiratory droplets from an infected individual (asymptomatic or symptomatic) and can be transferred to us through contact with our mouth, nose, and eyes. Wearing a mask is crucial in decreasing risk of viral spread caused by heavy/mouth breathing, coughing or sneezing. Be courteous of others and wear and mask in settings where you cannot ensure keeping a safe social distance. Make sure the mask covers your mouth and nose.
- Wash your hands frequently – This goes without saying but bears mentioning. Washing your hands for 20-30 seconds can help rid your hands of the virus and thus prevent you from infecting your self.
- Sterilize your spaces –Plan to travel with gloves, sanitizer and anti-septic wipes. Wearing gloves can be helpful but is not recommended universally because glove wearers often contaminate other surfaces with their gloved hands. However, when using sani wipes, it is important to wear gloves to protect your hands from the disinfecting chemicals in the wipes.
If you follow these 5 essential tips and must travel, you can travel safely during this time. Check out my Nurse Approved Travel Kit to ensure that you have everything that you need for safe travel. Also, sign-up for our E-Mail list and save 10% on your first order. Happy travels.
About the Blogger:
Nurse Alice is a cardiac clinical nurse specialist and family nurse practitioner with over 20 years of experience working primarily in critical care and emergency medicine. She has been featured on countless national networks sharing pertinent health education and is the CEO and founder of Nurse Approved, LLC, a company that empowers people to protect their health, wellness and safety through our courses, trainings, books, products and services BEFORE they become patients because we care. If you're looking for excellence, make sure it’s Nurse Approved.